Covers, prepare to be judged.

This seemed to go over well last time, so here we have it again!


From my original Cover Judgment post:

I spend five days a week walking the aisles of a bookstore. Needless to say, I get to see a lot of a books. So many books, in fact, that I've kind of grown numb to them. I know, sad for me, right? That's why I always enjoy it when a special book cover catches my eye.

The old adage is that you shouldn't just a book by it's cover, but the truth is that everyone does it all the time. Otherwise every book would have the title and author's name and that's it. Sounds boring, right? That's why I would like to take this time to highlight some books that have awesome YA book covers (in my humble opinion, of course). 




  • There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones - I'm a sucker for galoshes. And florals. And plaid on men, now that I think about it. There's not much to this over, but I like it. Simple and sweet. And I don't know why this is bothering me so much, I'm pretty sure those boots were Photoshopped green, not that it matters. The story seems a bit all over the place and lord knows I've been burned by an Ireland-set story before (Why I Let My Hair Grow Out, I'm looking at you), but who knows...? It could turn out to be Broken Soup, right? Right?
  • Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison - There are two reason why I should hate this cover. Reason one - I recognize the stock photo. As someone who's been scouring stock photo websites, I've been finding more and more of them on book covers. Usually the bad kind. Reason two - It just occurred to me that "Tris" and "Izzie" are a reference to Tristan and Isolde. I hate this story. It's the precursor to Romeo and Juliet, only even more ridiculous and unromantic. BUT. I like this cover. No, I love it. Bad news though, the book still uses the love spell as the McGuffin. Nothing says true love like being forced into it by a spell. Yay. 
  • Just Your Average Princess by Kristina Springer - Holy crap! More galoshes! Now that I read that this book is actually pumpkin-based, I probably would have loved it better if her dress had been orange, but I still think it's a nice over. The picture is eye-catching and the juxtaposition of the fancy dress and the ball of hay is quite nice. I also like the rounded effect of the title. It's probably not something I would read, but it could be cute. 

I'll be judging more covers soon, but in the mean time let me know what you think of these! As someone who's constantly thinking about how to package her own story, I'm curious to know what other people think makes a good book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment