I think this has turned into an annual thing

Product shot of my absolute favorite mug, purchased at Anthropologie.

I haven't fallen of the face of the Earth, I promise. I've just been sick. Sinus infection, I think. I had one about this same time last year and it was not fun. All of the posts from this week have been brought to you courtesy of Blogger's scheduled posting feature. While I'm not fatigued like I usually am when I get sick, I constantly feel like someone is punching me in the face. I've basically been out all week, missed two days of work, all that jazz.

While being sick means that my television and I have a chance to renew our friendship, it does put my writing on hold. Even though I want to be sitting up, using my time productively, the medication always has different plans for me. Anything that I write while on medication is always so damn loopy that I might as well have not written it in the first place. And thus I've learned to step back and enjoy the sick days for what they are--time to veg on the couch and enjoy some film entertainment.

Normally when I'm incapacitated by a cold, I revisit my favorite documentary (yes, you heard that right) Simon Schama's History of Great Britain. I was so ticked when a special edition of this came out. I really wanted to buy it, but I couldn't justify spending the money. I actually got Mr. Schama to sign a book for me at the National Book Fest a couple years ago. Got a picture and everything. I really do recommend this documentary to anyone who's even just vaguely interested in the subject. It's very well done. And after that, you need to watch The Adventure of English, a documentary on the history of the development of the English language. Unbelievably fascinating.

I also spent some time watching my favorite 'classic' movie, It Happened One Night, starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. For being a film that is nearly eighty years old, it's hilarious and I absolutely love it. Gable is just amazing in it. I tried to model one of my characters on him in this film...

My lovely new DVR also got me reacquainted with a favorite TV show of mine, Justified. Season one was absolutely amazing and season two is pretty darn good so far. The show reminds me of The Wire, only set in the hills of Kentucky and with a basic cable rating. I also finished watching the first two episodes of The Killing on AMC, which was freaking fantastic! Though it's based on a Danish show, the premise is a dead ringer for Twin Peaks (also great, if a little weird) only the tone is much more serious. I can't wait to watch more of this show! Rosie Larsen is the new Laura Palmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment