{ The lights went out, but only for a little while }


So I suffered a terrible scare earlier this week. I accidentally dropped my computer tower. I'd been pushing my desk around while redecorating my room, when BOOM it fell onto the floor and started making a horrible sound. When I tried to turn it on...nothing. You know how when you boot up your computer, it makes a little beep sound? Well, it didn't do that. The fan turned on and the power light started blinking...and that was it.

Start major panicking, right? I mean, MY LIFE'S WORK WAS ON THERE. Plus a lot of other stuff I liked. And on top of that--what was I supposed to do with myself without a computer?!

Well, instead of panicking, I decided to be very cool about it (que sera, right?) but that only led to some serious anxiety and I lost a lot of sleep over it. Bummer.

I had to wait until today to take the computer in to be looked at and by that time I'd already decided that we needed a new computer and all I hoped for was that the hard drive wasn't broken. So we trundled off into the rain with our broken computer, expecting the worst. 

Those wonderful guys at Geek Squad popped the lid, made fun of the dusty state of things and plugged her in. Nothing. One of the guys appeared to be a trainee (he couldn't even find the on button) but eventually they gave her a closer inspection and identified the problem: My RAM cards had been knocked loose. They pulled them out and slid them back into place. She booted up without a hitch. (I don't know why my computer has turned into a female in this story...)

No joke, I hugged my computer right then and there in the middle of a Best Buy. 

Though they didn't charge us for this service, I felt like giving them something. Maybe a plate of cookies. 

Anyhoo, thank you, Geeks, for saving my precious computer. She may be a bitch sometimes, but I'd be severely bored without her. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad it all worked out. Love those Geeks. I have a portable hard drive and lots of memory sticks for just that klutzy reason :) So glad that she is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I need to invest in a flash drive or something. I used to put all of my files on one of those and then I managed to destroy that. Seems like I can't win.

    In other news, I just put the books you sent me on my Nook, so expect them to be read soon. ^^

    ReplyDelete