{ The Princess Experiment Update }



I haven't done an update on my public domain experiment in a while. Mostly because there hasn't been much to report. Anyway, here it goes.

Back in February I started selling a public domain title, The Princess and the Goblin, through Barnes and Noble's PubIt. I created a cover for the ebook and formatted the text (no easy feat, let me tell you) and then put it up for sale for 99 cents. For each copy sold, I get a grand total of 40 cents profit. Considering I spent $10 dollars for the cover image, I knew it would take me a while to break even. 

And as of last month, I've done just that. 

I've actually made $12 in profit as of today. B&N doesn't send out a check less than ten bucks, so I expect to be seeing my direct deposit sometime in the next month. I'll try not to spend it all in one place.

As I've said before, I didn't do this little experiment in order to make money. I just wanted to see what the PubIt experience was like. It was fairly easy to work out and I'm pleased with the whole system. It certainly is less intimidating than Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing, which I have yet to try out since their policy on public domain titles is stricter than B&N's. 

I'm just now discovering that BN.com has started nesting ebooks, so same-priced versions of public domain titles are getting shoved on the same page. This makes it a little harder for people to find my particular edition, but that doesn't really mean much when actually shopping on an eReader like the Nook. 

I know I need to start poking around at Kindle's site sometime before I set out to publish GOFL, but there's something about it that just seems so intimidating. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment