{ Undomesticated }

 As much as I find the image above to be adorably cute (the yellow is so horrific, that it's awesome), the truth is that I am just not that person. I don't have a cute apron, nor the desire to cook or bake. My knowledge of the culinary arts is limited to microwaving, toasting and boiling. No preparing, measuing, mixing, frying, sauteing, grilling, steaming, poaching or any of that other nonsense.  

And yet, each year around this time, I feel this longing for the kitchen. There's something about the holiday season that drives me to actually look at recipes--and in grave situations--actually cook. Well, bake anyway. Baking's easy. I can do baking. When I want to. Or when I'm bored. 

Last year, I made a couple of batches of shortbread cookies. Now, any of you who have actually done a little baking, know that shortbread is about as easy as it comes. It's really hard to screw up making shortbread cookies. Gather ingredients, mix ingredients, shape cookies, bake, done. I had this crazy notion of making icing to go on them, but laziness soon put an end to that idea. I did color them and cut them out with leaf-shaped cookie cutters, though. That made them fancy enough for me. 

I used cookie cutters to make the little leaves.
This year, since we're doing Thanksgiving on our own, I'd love to find some lovely recipes to try out. Ready your stones for throwing, but I actually don't like anything about a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Well, except for the cranberry sauce. And pumpkin pie. I love me some spicy pumpkin pie. Instead of turkey and the heaps of sweet potatoes, I'm thinking of doing something yummy with chicken and roasted potatoes. Instead of stuffing and corn, how about baked mac'n'cheese and a nice green salad? I wouldn't say no to some asparagus in a tasty sauce either...

Anyway, back to baking. 

I bought a cute pie dish on impulse recently (had some store credit to use up) and since we had a bag of apples with no purpose, I decided to bake a pie(!) complete with a fancy crust and everything. The result was okay, I guess. It looked good, at least, and it was edible. Wasn't quite as tangy or apple-y as I would have liked. It was spicy as hell, though. I think I went a little overboard with the cinnamon. Oh well, better luck next time.

Next up, a strawberry pie! 


4 comments:

  1. Delicious pie. YUM.

    PS. If you click on the link below the posts on any of my blogs that says: #comments...it should pop up with a screen that lets you comment. I need to work on making that more user friendly huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PPS. I have a new layout. I'm kind of obsessed with it. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Instagram! Fancy meeting you here! ;)
    Love this pie! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hi! Gee, I've been really neglecting this blog. I feel a little ashamed. Guess I spend too much time on Pinterest and Instagram. I really should get back to blogging...

      Delete