If this book was a movie and if this movie had a soundtrack...

Flickr
So, I did a post on music-as-writing-inspiration before and I'd like to do another one. The original writing process for Loch Raven had been heavily influenced by music. The songs reflected the tone of the story very well--or vice versa--the story I wrote reflected the tone of the music. Either way, early on I found a playlist to listen to while writing. I even took the time to put the songs in an order that flowed well and kept the mood from stagnating. Even after three years I still have the playlist saved on my computer and here it is:


They're a mixture of light and airy tunes along with a few gloomy ones to highlight the darker elements of the story. The Decemberists (my absolute favorite band--get well, Jenny!!) are repeat offenders on the list, but they're two very different songs from them. Some of these songs were discovered through the wonderful Paste Magazine, which I totally need to renew my subscription to. The last song is technically from a video game soundtrack, but try not to hold that against it. 'Days Like This' and 'You Are the Moon' are two of the prettiest songs I've ever heard and I could listen to them over and over again. 


Whenever I sit down to work on Loch Raven, I immediately put these songs on. They help me slide back into that frame of mind. The only thing I'm missing is the warm weather and bright sunshine. I can't wait for summer.

I love soundtracks--movies, TV, whatever. Pop songs, incidental music, original scores played by orchestras and everything. I know some people don't even notice it, but I do. A well placed tune can make or break a scene sometimes. Certain songs will always make me think of the movies/shows I saw them in. Just hearing the song is like watching the movie all over again in my head. 

Are there any songs that remind you of stories? Any soundtracks that you love just as much as the movie/show--maybe even more?

No comments:

Post a Comment